Turkey Creek is located in northern Evangeline Parish near the stream named Turkey Creek. The area and the name of the settlement was derived from the fact that the stream ran in three branches shaped like a turkey’s foot. A more popular theory is that there were many wild turkeys in the area and from that the name of the settlement was derived. Some of the first families that settled Turkey Creek were named Nugent, Singletary, Stewart, Clark, Johnson, Deville and Fontenot. A Mr. Singletary operated the first cotton gin and grist mill in 1892. The first sawmill, which came later, was water-powered and took about one-half day to saw a medium log into lumber. From 1905 when the Rock Island Railroad was built through Turkey Creek, logging became an important industry, remaining so until about 1950. The largest sawmills in operation at that time was in the settlement of Meridian a few miles north of Turkey Creek. Meridian is no longer there, having been reclaimed by the forest when the logging operations were concluded. Turkey Creek has no schools. It was consolidated with Bayou Chicot School, but an elementary school existed before 1845. This is reflected in documents, which show a donation of land for a school, by Mr. Louis Deville. Two other schools are supposed to have existed … they were a college started by a Mr. George Coverdale in 1875 and lasting until 1880. He was supposedly sent by the Queen of England but for some reason she cut off his money supply so he reportedly stayed and opened a grammar school. Turkey Creek was located in old St Landry Parish but was included in Evangeline Parish when it was created in 1911. The first post office was established around the 1890’s.

Showing 3 from 3 Items

Toggle Filters
Count:
Sort by:
Order: